Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Dad's Gabriel

My Dad was a steamfitter by trade.  But later in life he recognized some latent God-given talents in metal sculpture.  When I was in high school, we did a "father and son art show" together.  I'll never forget that... because I sold more work than he did! Tsk...Tsk! 

Back in the mid-1990's, I asked him to make a "Gabriel" weather vane, for our garage roof.  I sent a few sketches back to Wisconsin, and he came up with this design.  When we moved from Vermont to South Jersey... Ol' Gabriel came along with us!  Now he sits on the top of an old cabinet that I refinished. Dad went to be with the Lord in 1997... I sure miss our "late night talks" every Sunday evening on the phone.  But all that I have to do is sit in the livingroom, and look up, at Gabriel... and I remember.  Thanks Dad, for the memories!  Daryle  

6 comments:

  1. That is just an excellent piece to have. And more importantly it was made by your Dad. It is a breathe-taking piece. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Daryle & Katie..what a wonderful story Darlye and what a wonderful piece of art..I just LOVE it :)

    Wising you a wonderful day, Doreen

    ps..thank you so much for stopping by to visit and for your wonderful compliments :)....don't forget..your work inspires as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for joining my ning Daryel.
    I just love your blog...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Daryle and Katie. I just bought the premier issue of Prims and your cage doll on the cover is just beautiful! I wish I had her in my living room! Thanks for sharing!

    Kelly Deal

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Daryle for the compliments on our work......please feel free to add us to your blog.
    Best Wishes: The Old Pretenders

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Daryle,
    I saw the cover of Prims and I love it. I am getting ready to order my copy. I am a member of cloth and clay dolls and just struggled through my very first. Any tips for creating dolls?

    ReplyDelete